Aaron Lohr, Concerned Citizen

Welcome to my blog. I write about actual news stories. Sure, I joke a lot, but I include citations to prove that the source of my jibber jabber is real. You can't make this stuff up. If you've come across a strange news story, send it my way. I'm now on twitter at: https://twitter.com/#!/AaronLohr

Facebook me!
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

I like to move it move it.

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Hurray for the Award Programs!

It’s the most wonderful time of the year. No, not the holidays. Please. Who cares about flying reindeer, Santa Claus, or the act of giving when the Golden Globe Awards are right around the corner. I’ve spent a lot of money at the theater this year and can’t wait for someone else to tell me which one I saw was the best. Today’s column will look at the best drama picture nominees and give you my personal reviews.

The Aviator (starring Leonardo DiCaprio as Howard Hughes)

I don’t even think this movie is out yet, but I’ll give it a shot. I’m not sure who Howard Hughes was, but I’m guessing he was some kind of flyboy. I’m gonna say he specialized in flying zeppelins. Before I didn’t see this movie, I didn’t think much of DiCaprio’s acting ability, and now I have to say my opinion has not changed. I did thoroughly enjoy the full scale model zeppelins. **

Kinsey (starring Liam Neeson as sex researcher Alfred Kinsey)

I didn’t see this one either. I like Liam Neeson, but I don’t like boring looking movies. I guess he has different people tell him about their sexual problems and he looks smug and doodles on a notepad. And like all biographical dramas he probably has trouble at home where he is neglecting family and/or having a drug problem and/or leading an army against the British. **

Hotel Rwanda (starring Don Cheadle as a hotelkeeper hiding refugees amidst genocide)

I’m going to be up front with you. I didn’t see this one either. It’s weird, because I saw like fifty movies this year. I never even heard of this one. Well, I’m thinking this one is pretty serious, because it’s in the drama category and is about genocide. Nick Nolte is in this film so I’m only going to give it two stars. **

Million Dollar Baby (starring Hilary Swank and Clint Eastwood)

Umm…you got me here. No clue. I guess Eastwood and Swank have some kind of miracle baby made of precious jewels. Most of the film is about the couple’s hardships protecting the kid from the infamous mobster Diamond Chuck Babystealer. This film deserves some consideration for it’s subtle underlying message that babies are valuable. ***

Finding Neverland (starring Johnny Depp as J.M. Barrie)

I don’t think there is a film more deserving this year than Finding Neverland. Why? Among the pluses this film has going for it are: excellent acting, terrific script, and it’s the only film on this list that I’ve seen. I certainly liked it so nuff said: ****

So which dramas do I think were snubbed unfairly this year?

The Chronicles of Riddick (starring Vin Diesel as a butt whupping convict)

I like the part where he killed that guy and had that witty one-liner. *****

Walking Tall (starring The Rock as a butt whupping ex-military type)

I like the part where he killed that guy and had that witty one-liner. *****

Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (starring Renee Zellweger as a butt-whupping cookie muncher)

I like the part where she talks to herself about her insecurities. I also like the part where she killed that guy and had that witty one-liner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home