Aaron Lohr, Concerned Citizen

Welcome to my blog. I write about actual news stories. Sure, I joke a lot, but I include citations to prove that the source of my jibber jabber is real. You can't make this stuff up. If you've come across a strange news story, send it my way. I'm now on twitter at: https://twitter.com/#!/AaronLohr

Facebook me!
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

I like to move it move it.

Thursday, August 02, 2007

This Toast is a Bit Squishy

I consider myself a pretty adventurous eater, kind of like Indiana Jones mixed with a sloth bear. I don’t mind the weird faces people give me when I’m eating raw oysters, scrapple, or Play-Doh spaghetti. But I wasn’t always that way.

My parents are great people and they did an excellent job of introducing new foods to their two sons. Unfortunately for them, my brother and I were very skeptical of these new foods, and I think my parents did a wonderful job to address and diffuse our concerns.

Mom: Here’s your salad.
Aaron: What is this purple thing in the salad?
Jason: Why does it look slimy?
Dad: It’s poison. Eat it.

My brother and I didn’t relish the idea of eating poison, but we thought it a better option than to complain further. It turns out the purple thing was just your everyday severely bruised mole rat. It wasn’t very good unless you drenched it in French dressing and then chased it with a glass of Strawberry Quick.

Anyway, a lot has changed since then and there would have to be something pretty nasty on my plate for me not to eat it… something like slugs. But who would do something like that? I’ll tell you who, David Kallos from Lund, Sweden.

http://www.thelocal.se/7939/

This guy runs a restaurant, so you think he would have better things to cook and serve than slugs. What’s wrong with pizza or strawberry mole rat sandwiches?

Kallos says unprecedented numbers of slugs have been devouring everything in their path, including his precious herb garden. He had to do something, so he got creative and came up with a recipe for “slug toast”. How about putting the slugs in a plastic sack and putting that sack in a dumpster? Maybe that’s better than putting them on toast and eating them.

Slug toast comes with bacon, onion, and fresh chili and tastes like sour milk and sweaty feet.

Kallos says, “I’ve worked against the food in this case. Usually I bring out the raw produce’s character but here I’ve done the opposite – I’ve hidden the taste of the slug with anything I could.”

If you want to hide the taste of the slug, how about losing the slug all together? I know it’s a revolutionary idea.

Listen up all you fancy restaurateurs! Just because something is extremely unappetizing doesn’t mean nature is challenging you to find a way to get people to eat it. You’re taking this too personally. People don’t want to eat slugs or fresh and squishy octopus. They want a cheeseburger or a tangy berry mole rat smoothie. Please relax and for goodness sake take the “slug” out of “slug toast”. Toast has served our civilization for eons and it doesn’t deserve this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home