Aaron Lohr, Concerned Citizen

Welcome to my blog. I write about actual news stories. Sure, I joke a lot, but I include citations to prove that the source of my jibber jabber is real. You can't make this stuff up. If you've come across a strange news story, send it my way. I'm now on twitter at: https://twitter.com/#!/AaronLohr

Facebook me!
Name:
Location: Maryland, United States

I like to move it move it.

Friday, May 20, 2005

Star Wars Conclusion Draws Record Number of Nerds

It’s been nearly 30 years since George Lucas gave us Star Wars and you’d be hard-pressed to find anything more popular. You know you hit the big-time when you have your own cereal comprised of cornmeal shapes and dehydrated marshmallows. And if you don’t think it’s just a marketing gimmick, take a quarter and scratch the box. You will find it easily peals off underneath and you’re left with a box of Lucky Charms from the seventies.

Think about those marshmallow shapes. Is that really C-3PO? Doesn’t it look remarkably similar to a yellow moon? How about Jabba the Hut? I think it bares a pretty strong resemblance to a green clover. And that big hairy thing is not Chewbacca. In fact, that’s not even supposed to be in there.

Have you heard about these crazy lines at the theater to see this thing? Did you know that some people have quit their jobs to wait in these lines? It’s so irresponsible. Who’s going to help me access my email now?

Now some of you will say that I don’t understand. That being there on opening night with your fellow Star Wars fans, all dressed up is part of the culture of this whole thing. It’s being there for a historical moment. I understand that. I understand that it’s looney tunes.

But I’m not going to judge you wackos. Have fun with it, because allegedly it’s your last chance. No more Star Wars after this…or so says George Lucas. But I don’t believe it. HOGWASH! You know why? I’ll give you a hint: $$$$$$$.

When people are making billions of dollars and the fan base remains large, you will get sequel after sequel, and cereal after cereal. So don’t cry for this one. My bet is it will be back in some shape and form. Peeps gots ta have their blingy bling.

I am going to see it tomorrow morning at 10 am with a few friends. But I’m being real normal about it. What’s that you say?...No, it’s not a light saber…it’s more like a cane…I have bad arches. What’s that? No-no, the helmet keeps my head warm. No I havn’t been waiting in line for two days….it’s more like one and a half….and Huh? What am I eating? Ummm…it’s Lucky Charms of course.

2 Comments:

Blogger John Erving said...

All things being equal (and they're not), Lucas had a definite vision for the story of Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader (that's the subject of the 6 movies). Since that part of the Star Wars universe is his domain to define (and he's done all he wants to with it), it's likely that we'll never see any of those characters (from these 6 movies) on the big screen again. On the other hand, Lucas is very free with the idea of doing new stories in the Star Wars universe about different times and places (not directly related to Episodes 1-6).

While I agree that the marketing machine in this case is a huge motivator, Lucas has several companies (LucasArts-Video Games, LucasFilm, Industrial Light & Magic, and some others I can't think of right now). They've got all the books that you could want about the beloved characters of the movies, they've got cartoons about the clone wars (apparently they are going to make a series instead of just a bunch of short animations), they're working on a live action tv show (based on new characters from a different time period in the Star Wars continuum), they've got toys, games, little figures at Burger King, costumes, lightsaber hilts, sculptures, and I could go on and on and on ...

Though it may be sad, the Star Wars phenomenon is the single greatest marketing and cultural event of our time (our being generations x y and z). So it's understandable that people get excited about the movies, especially the last movie in the foreseeable future (at least as long as Lucas is alive and perhaps long after he is dead depending on his will).

That's the bottom line cause Sprinkles says so!

6:47 AM  
Blogger AaronJLohr said...

Jason, your comment is perhaps one of the funniest I've seen. Thank you.

John,
George Lucas has done an amazing thing, and now he will want to branch out and do other meaningful work. But I don't think people are going to be interested in Wookies on Ice, not even the I-MAX version.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home